Sunday, February 5, 2012

White Loaves!


This is my first post as a TWD baker. My first attempt at White Bread was a success as far as I am concerned. It may not be the most perfect loaves but I enjoyed making this more than I thought I would. I have to be honest I was sort of dreading it as you often hear the stereotype that bread is so hard and time consuming to make. This was anything but.

I kneaded the bread with my mixer using the bread hook attachment. I live in a drafty old house so I turned up the heat and put the bowl of dough in the bathroom with
the door closed. It doubled in size in no time.

The dough was easy to work with and not sticky at all.


I was a little nervous about it having an indent in it before it went into the oven. I removed the greased plastic too fast and the loaf fell a little bit.

They were done in exactly the time posted on the recipe. I did use a thermometer just to make sure I wouldn't have any raw batter when I cut into them.


It was at exactly 200!! I wish they turned out a little darker but over all it was a really fun experience and the bread was Delicious. There were very little crumbs and it was so easy to cut. It didn't crush when you started cutting it like so many other fresh breads. I think this will be a regular in our house and I can't wait to try different variations. Maybe some cheese swirled in or some cinnamon raisin bread sounds great too.

14 comments:

  1. Your loaves look great! I'm glad you liked them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited that you are baking along with us! Its one thing to have someone you know join, its another thing when its your cousin! Your loaves look fantastic. I am glad the recipe worked out and that you all enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was really dreading the bread myself, but you're right, it was easy and fantastic! I'm already planning to make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody!! I am so excited that I got some comments!! And Laurie I am so happy to be baking along with you too!! It is pretty cool to be the cousin of such a famous gal like you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The loaves look great! I agree that they didn't collapse when you tried to cut them. That was nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your loaves look terrific! I really love bread and this was such a fun way to start the group! Looking forward to getting to know you the next couple years with BWJ!

    ReplyDelete
  7. what a great first try with baking bread! at least your loaves rose and everything was edible!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome to the world of baking & blogging! Glad to see it was such a success for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks delicious! Next time, take the bread out of the pan for the last 10 minutes or so. It should brown right up!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad I wasn't the only one turning up their heat. I saw 80 degrees and crossed my fingers my kitchen would get warm enough before kicking up the heat and putting the oven on preheat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! Look at those loaves! Welcome to TWD! This group will change your life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was lucky, I was able to put the dough beside a gas fireplace, set to low. It was the perfect place for the dough to rise. Your loaves look great!

    ReplyDelete