Wednesday, March 21, 2012

TWD: Irish soda bread!


First let me say that I am not sure why mine looks so funny. Maybe I over/under mixed it. I also used my mixer and I think this was one I should have done by hand.
The dough was so soft I couldn't cut an X in it.
I did knead a little more flour into it but I didn't want to change the recipe so I just went with it.
With that said it was delicious. I put raisins in it and it made it moister. I usually buy this bread every St. patty's day and I have to say this was one of the best I have had.





My red bearded husband (who loves this holiday) found a recipe for a cream to put on the bread and it made it taste wonderful. The recipe is 1 cup whipping cream, 1/3 cup 10x sugar, just when the cream gets thick whip in some Bailey's until its to the strength you like. It was really good.





We of course ate it with Corn-beef and Cabbage.



I think I might try another loaf since I still have some buttermilk left. Hopefully I can figure out why the dough was so soft the first time. I also wanted to add that I wrapped it up pretty tight and it was still moist the next day. I was worried it would be wasted as the recipe said it would get hard. Thankfully we were able to enjoy it the next day too.

2 comments:

  1. What a nice, traditional meal.
    The Bailey's cream sounds like it should be mandatory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did use a mixer & also added extra flour- it came out great. I'm sure yours was delish & I love your husband's rendition of whipped cream.

    ReplyDelete